HOW TO CHOOSE A NAME FOR YOUR BLOG

Monday, September 7, 2015

Hello loves! It is day seven of the Blog-tember Challenge. I know, I know.. I've slacked on posting everyday. The struggle is real. I'm still trying to catch up on reading through all of the fantastic posts from everyone! Today I thought I would not only answer the prompt question, but also share a few tips for choosing the right blog name for your creative online space!

Day 7: Tell us about your blog name. Where did it come from?


_______ W H Y  B O O N E  &  O W L _______


When I first decided to start this blog I was at a complete loss about what to name it. I wanted it to mean something to me. I wanted it to be easy to remember. I wanted it to stick around in people's minds; like a colorful post-it note reminder. I wracked my brain past the point of creativity. I stepped back and thought: What is the foundation of this blog? What does this blog represent to me? If it first did not represent something to me, it could not represent something to anyone else. 

So why Boone & Owl? 

There are two parts to my blog name. I grew up in a small town. Some might call it quaint. It is free of the fast paced hustle and bustle of a city bursting with people. We do things a bit more slowly around here, and no matter where you go, you always know someone. You might say it is the boondocks because of its isolated nature, and rough beauty. So Boone is a play on that aspect of my life. It represents the small, friendly, safe haven that I grew up in; surrounded by marsh grass, salty waters, and tall oaks draped with moss. It is that small town heart that I hope to share openly with all of you.

As you all know by now.. I love fashion. A couple of years ago I started collecting owl jewelry. Necklaces most specifically. I realize this is a fashion don't by most fashion standards. I have an entire space in my jewelry chest dedicated to those necklaces. I thought that owls with giant eyes were particularly cute. I still do. Fashion guidelines are good. I believe in certain style "rules", but sometimes you just have to wear what makes you happy. I have always admired very fashion forward street style. You know those daring outfits that have something a little quirky about them? Well, to me owls were my daring, quirky thing. Owl, to me, represents daring fashion; where there are no "rules" about what you should wear, and your own unique fashion sense is set free. It represents courage, Courage to just be you, in all of the forms that takes

In the end Boone & Owl represents me. It is small town heart and fashion set free. It is kindness and courage. 


_______ C H O O S I N G  A  B L O G  N A M E _______


Maybe you are just now considering starting a blog of your own. Or maybe you have the itch to rebrand your blog. I toy with the idea myself sometimes. What worked when you first started might not as you grow and your blog grows. I have put together a few tips from my own experience to help you choose the right name for your online space!

Explore. Explore the foundation of your blog. What do you want to write about? What do you want to share with your readers? If you are rebranding your blog, this might mean narrowing your blog's focus, or broadening it. It may mean leaving your focus the same. Once you know what kind of content you want to share you have your footing. 

Write It Down. Grab a notepad and write down your blog's topic or topics. Think of words associated with those topics or words that resonate with you with the blog topic in mind. This is your brainstorming stage! Write down anything that comes to mind, even if you think it sounds silly. Try alliteration, using words that start with the same letter. Pair words together. Play around with this. Go through the list and circle the words or parings that stand out to you, whittling down the list. 

Consider. Consider your readers. Put yourself in their shoes. You want something that is easy for them to spell and easy to read. Take into consideration the length of your blog's name. You want something quick and catchy. Something that is easy to read and pronounce. Most especially you want something that is easy to remember. 

Test It Out. Test your blog name out on your friends and family. They can look at it like your readers would. This can feel embarrassing, but it is so helpful. They can give you an objective opinion. Clarity. This will give you clarity. 


That's it! The story behind Boone & Owl + some of my tips for choosing a blog name. Happy blogging, friends! 
How did you choose your blog's name? What tips would you share?


No comments

Post a Comment

I am so glad that you stopped by. I love to hear from my readers! I appreciate each and every comment. Let's chat! Leave some love and I'll be sure to reply. Have a lovely day - Jen